"Then We revived you after your death, so that you may be appreciative." (Al-Baqarah: 56)
  • Wednesday 25, November 2020
ACE News Logo

Klavan late show lifts Liverpool; struggling Stoke lose again

Klavan late show lifts Liverpool; struggling Stoke lose again

LIVERPOOL: Liverpool scored a goal in the fourth minute of injury time to beat Burnley 2-1 away in the Premier League, while Mark Hughes’ job as Stoke City manager was looking increasingly fragile after the team’s loss at home to Newcastle United on Monday.

Ragnar Klavan headed home the winning goal at Turf Moor as Liverpool earned a hard-fought victory without three of their “Fab 4” attack, with Roberto Firmino demoted to the bench and both Philippe Coutinho and Mohamed Salah declared injured.

Sadio Mane was the only survivor and he scored Liverpool’s opening goal, spinning and shooting high into the net in the 61st minute.

Burnley equalised with just three minutes left as Sam Vokes flicked on and Johann Gudmundsson pounced to slot home.

But Liverpool’s Dejan Lovren headed on a free-kick four minutes into stoppage-time and Estonia defender Klavan poked home from close-range.

The win lifted Liverpool provisionally level on points with third-placed Manchester United, who were playing at Everton in the late game Monday.

Salah was missing because of a groin problem while Liverpool said Coutinho had a thigh injury, a day after Nike’s website advertised Barcelona shirts with the Brazil midfielder’s name on the back to intensify speculation that he might be heading to the Spanish club.

Hughes rested many of his front-line players in the 5-0 loss at Chelsea on Saturday, in an attempt to keep them fresh for the game against Newcastle. It backfired with Stoke losing 1-0.

Newcastle took a deserved lead in the 73rd minute when Ayoze Perez stabbed past Stoke goalkeeper Jack Butland from close-range.

That triggered chants for Hughes’s dismissal from Stoke fans, with a ‘Hughes out’ banner held aloft in the stands.

Stoke have won once in their last six games and sit two points above the relegation zone.


Algeria duo Riyad Mahrez and Islam Slimani inspired Leicester City’s 3-0 win over Huddersfield Town.

Claude Puel’s side took the lead through Mahrez in the 53rd minute, the winger meeting Marc Albrighton’s cross with a well-taken volley for his eighth goal of the season.

With Leicester striker Jamie Vardy sidelined by a groin injury, Slimani who marked only his second league start this season with his first league goal since April — a chipped finish in the 60th minute.

Leicester’s Adrien Silva came on late in the second half for his long-awaited first appearance.

FIFA rejected the 28-year-old’s move from Sporting Lisbon in August when the paperwork arrived 14 seconds too late.

The Portugal midfielder finally completed his move on Monday and was cheered to the rafters when he made his first appearance at the King Power Stadium.

Albrighton’s 90th minute goal capped a good afternoon for Leicester, who ended a four-match winless run, while Huddersfield were beaten for the first time in five games.

Callum Wilson’s second goal in three games earned Bournemouth a 2-2 draw at south coast rivals Brighton & Hove Albion.

Anthony Knockaert put Brighton ahead in the fifth minute before Steve Cook’s looping header had the visitors level in the 33rd minute.

Glenn Murray restored Brighton’s lead three minutes into the second half.

But Wilson rescued Bournemouth in the 79th minute with his fifth league goal of the campaign and Eddie Howe’s side are now unbeaten in their last three games


In the late kickoff on Sunday, Arsenal played out a frustrating 1-1 draw with West Bromwich Albion at a wet Hawthorns to climb to fifth in the table.

The match was Arsene Wenger’s 811th in charge — moving him ahead of United legend Alex Ferguson, who was at the helm for 810 matches in the Premier League era.

Arsenal looked to have sealed all three points when an Alexis Sanchez curled in a free kick from the edge of the box that deflected off the leg of James McClean, who turned his back in the defensive wall, and ricocheted in after 83 minutes. The goal was ruled to be a McClean own goal.

But a last-gasp penalty from Jay Rodriguez levelled the match at 1-1 after Calum Chambers was deemed to have handled the ball, sparking frustration on the Arsenal bench.

A furious Wenger said the awarding of the penalty was “difficult to accept,” and complained about the standard of refereeing.

He also criticised the scheduling of matches over Christmas that left Arsenal with games against Crystal Palace and West Brom in a span of less than 72 hours.